1. So England may finally be free of the EU, though i note with some amusement that the losers, unused to losing, are angrily demanding a second referendum because that’s how democracy works – if you lose, you just demand another vote, until you get the desired result. i am used to losing – i and those of my kind have been fighting what Tolkien calls the long defeat for decades; and so i didn’t expect Leave to win, and i don’t think i would have signed a petition for a 2nd referendum – i would have just accepted that most people don’t value their own culture and identity anymore.
i would agree with Andrew Breitbart, that politics is downstream of culture, and it seems to me that English culture has been rotting away, from the head down, the last couple of generations. i once thought all countries were probably more or less as vile, till i went to Italy in 2003 – under the auspices of an EU project, ironically – and saw that the supposedly dangerous Padova had safe streets, no public drunkedness, and a quiet unstudied decorum even among the young. Likewise even the supposedly dangerous Kassel has safe streets, only boisterous public drunkedness, and if Germands aren’t exactly decorous, they aren’t as vile & debased as the English.
2. On either my 2010 or 16 trip to England, i was standing in the corridor on a train somewhere (probably Manchester to Huddersfield) about noon on a Saturday, and a guy came out of the toilet. Two teenage girls, i think about 13 or 14, dressed like prostitutes, shrieked at him “Hope you left a nice stinky shit in there!” and then screeched with laughter for some time. i was shocked, after months in Germany, then remembered & thought, This is just England now, this is what women and girls act like here. i’ve seen worse things, casual violence in the middle of the day in the town centre, for seemingly no reason, crazy people or junkies screaming at demons, i’ve been “menaced” by gangs of 10-year-olds (amusing till i reflected they probably had knives), seen one junky kicking another in the head at a bus stop (the first one threatened to kill his family), i was spat at, had bottle tops thrown in my face, and on a Sunday afternoon, i was surrounded and violently pushed around by three drunk Geordies on a quiet street in Durham, as they made gorilla noises and shouted “Paki bastard!” and for some reason “Imran Khan!” Two Geordies tried to burgle my student room while i was in it in 2001. A schizophrenic girl high on acid broke into my house in Manchester at 0800 on a workday, and ran about breaking windows and screaming. i lived below drug dealers in Leeds for 2 years, and could hear them having fights in the early hours (i remember the curiously immediate sound of a fist on a face). Half a dozen big teenagers tried to pick a fight with me and Bonehead on the road outside my flat, in my first week in Leeds, surrounding us and doing the man-dance warm-up of insults and threats (they were deterred by Bonehead, who has a certain aura of violence). And so on and so forth.
i’ve now been in Germany nearly 7 years, and can’t remember anything at this level. There have been a handful of incidents which i wouldn’t even call altercations, just young guys trying it on and then fading away when i didn’t back down.
Politics has certainly helped the decay – curiously, not just i but everyone i asked noted that England started to really go to the dogs in the late 90s; even Nu Labour types would say things went into a taildive from then on, with notions such as respect, deference, politeness, humility, decorum, gentleness going out of the window completely – even a young greasy-haired self-proclaimed Marxist i temped with in Manchester in 2007 said teenagers held no respect for anyone anymore, that in his day (he was 23 or so) if an adult shouted at you, you’d shit yourself and mumble, Oh, sorry, yes, but in the last few years he’d noted you could tell them to fuck off and they just jeered. i saw this myself many a time – for example, in a laundrette in Leeds in 2005/6, two teenage girls were climbing into the huge driers and generally giggling and shrieking like whores, the middle-aged owner came in, shouted “oi! I told you not to come back here! If I see you again I’ll get the CPS!” [CPS is a kind of 2nd-rate cop organisation comprising mostly fat pasty-faced slobs who chew gum and look like recent offenders stuffed in paramilitary gear]. When i, or indeed anyone at my violent school, including Bonehead, were shouted at by adults we immediately backed down – i only know one boy who didn’t and he seemed to have a mental or emotional disorder, and is probably in prison now. These teenage girls just laughed and giggled.
3. In 2006 i had a vision of sorts, and began to wonder if there was anything good about England. i realised there were good English people, but they were almost all over 50; the decent younger ones seemed lost, bewildered at how vile English culture had become, essentially chav culture so millionaires and royalty dress and talk like chavs. It doesn’t surprise me, then, that the Leave votes mainly came from the older generation – those who knew England before it was gobbled up by the EU, and therefore don’t suppose trade would cease without, or that everyone would lose their jobs, or that Denmark would invade. The younger generation – and this happened in Nazi Germany too – believe the lies of their rulers, knowing nothing else (those processed through the Hitler Youth were generally far more fanatical than those who grew up in Wilhelmine Germany).
4. It is, i would say, the most emotional political issue in my lifetime. Most of my colleagues are Lefties – not really educated, most have gone to some kind of university but are almost illiterate (their lips move when they read); the few who read, only read the Guardian, or “genre fiction”. Here is how i celebrated Brexit:
In the past, i would openly tell my colleagues “i’m extremely right-wing” and sneer at them as “filthy commies” when they talked about the Guardian or how they were voting Bernie Sanders and want someone to assassinate Trump. They would sneer back in good spirit and all was well. Now i’ve noted a considerable level of vitriol on the Remain part, even among the mildest, e.g. a Brit colleague, a soft harmless pussy-whipped coward who i like, posted something like “Well done, some of you deserve what you’ll get. Going to the Ausländeramt to get a passport”. i found “you deserve what you’ll get” rather sinister, possibly directed at me, since he seems to have only Left-wing friends – like a lot of soft liberal white people, he probably thinks “but, Elberry, you’re…you know, a Paki…you have to be on the Left!” – and now gleefully imagines me being stoned to death by white racists, because only a white racist would, presumably, vote to be independent of the EU. I’ve heard this “argument” from a few white Lefties, which boils down to “your race determines which political party you can vote for” – i was even accused of being a racist by The Communist (a well-paid UN apparatchik pining for the good old USSR) because racism is the only reason you might prefer not to be a socialist.
i am unsurprised that rich UN apparatchiks are full of rage that i’m not a Leftie, but now the Remain camp seem to think the useless old people who did nothing, except work their entire lives, have now ruined their entire future, and England will become a rogue state – and so even the placid fat Lefties, with their soft white hands, are angry and spitting venom on all & sundry. i suspect this will be akin to the Dreyfus Affair, which likewise divided French society – i would then have been a Dreyfusard, believing the truth, and the individual, more important than the supposed glory of the French army, and the careers of well-paid bureaucrats and liars.
5. It is perhaps so emotional because it indicates the spiritual gap between the camps. The Remain lot had mostly economic arguments – often full of lies, e.g. that Britain relies on the EU for farming subsidies, when in fact Britain gave 13 billion € a year to the EU, and only got 4.5 billion back. Two of my students have told me, as if it is an indisputable fact, that Britain needs the EU for its generous wallet. The Leave camp had really only emotional appeals, such as “this is our country and we don’t want foreign powers telling us what to do” or “I don’t want Sharia law”.
The economic arguments are largely irrelevant for me personally, because i don’t see much correlation between prosperity and cultural health – i know good people who are rich, and good people who are broke; i know bad people who are rich, and bad people who are lifelong dolescum & benefit cheats; this is one of many reasons i regard the Left as wrong-headed and misguided. i can say, from experience, that England in the 1930s, in the midst of economic depression, was safer and more civilised than England at the peak of its Thatcherite boom, or its fairy gold Nu Labour spivvery.
The Remain camp think only in terms of material advantage, exchange rates, share prices. Oh no, my soft liberal colleague has to go to the Ausländeramt and get a passport – how terrible! Oh no, holidays abroad won’t be as cheap! And so on.
And Esau said to Jacob, Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage; for I am faint: therefore was his name called Edom.
And Jacob said, Sell me this day thy birthright.
And Esau said, Behold I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me?
And Jacob said, Swear to me this day; and he sware unto him: and he sold his birthright unto Jacob.
Then Jacob gave Esau bread and pottage of lentiles; and he did eat and drink, and rose up, and went his way: thus Esau despised his birthright. (Gen 25. 30-4)
My mother and stepfather were both in the Leave camp; both would be despised by the ruling elites, by smug Leftists, as uneducated and more like to read a tabloid than Left-wing controlled media like the Guardian or the Times. The Leftists would call them racist bigots, and if i said Neither are remotely racist or bigoted, the Leftists would say i have false consciousness, and i myself am a racist and a bigot and should be done away with forthwith, how dare a Paki not be on the Left? – perhaps i should be stoned by Muslims, for i am surely an apostate? – since all dark peoples are Muslims, or should be, hmm?
For people like me and my mother economics are irrelevant, because we have never been rich and never would be, and would rather have freedom and decency and honour than the latest iphone and a special deal on a nice little place in Tuscany. This makes us “little Englanders” and Tory scum, apparently.
Every argument i’ve seen in favour of Remain is to do with economics. i don’t even bother disputing with these people, because all i could say for sure is that the EU is destroying the fabric of English culture – not that it’s the only factor, by any means; and they wouldn’t understand, because they are all deracinated, rootless types, parasites who could live anywhere and are only in Germany because they can claim money from the Government, or because they can work here at an easy low-skill job (English teacher, or McLingua management, neither requiring talent). With people like this, there is no debate, one must hold one’s ground and try to ignore their slurs and slanders, their Leftist rage as the gravytrain is shunted to a different siding.
6. Almost every German i’ve talked to was angry that Britain was even having a referendum, regarding it as an affront and possibly a war crime. An East German engineer snapped at me: “What is with this England? All lands will be in the EU. Only the British peoples they are thinking they are special, or?” i don’t see it as exaggeration to say that Germans are natural pedants and control freaks, and want to control not merely their immediate surroundings but other countries, and the world. For the German, it is intolerable that a country should be independent and not part of the 4th Order. i believe this is in part because of German geohistory – jammed between France and Russia Germany has had war every generation, invasion, rape, catastrophe. England hasn’t been invaded in a thousand years, at least not by an army – i would see the immigration of the last 20 years as an invasion, just as the recent Muslim “refugees” are an occupying force doing what all occupiers do – loot and rape.
Thus Germans value security over freedom. They yearn for order, bureaucracy, for powerful men and women to rule over them – the more powerful, faceless, inaccessible, the better. And being Germans they want to extend this empire over their neighbours, to include all in their net, to have power over all, to have one power to rule over all men.
But then that describes the Left in general, so i find it amusing that so-called anarchists are protesting against the referendum and assaulting anyone they find with the Union Jack. As is often the case with the Left, what they say (“we are anarchists!”) is the opposite of the truth (they want a one world government to control every inch of human life, as long as it doles out enough arts grants for shrieking menstrual feminist poetry slams, and “anarchist” communes). i think because the Left usually deny objective reality (“hate facts”, post-structuralism, feminism, logic as a male patriarchal tool of oppression, everything is a “construct” because some French assholes said so in the 60s etc.) they have no problem with lying, don’t even really recognise it as lying – for them, it is merely whatever is expedient, to achieve social revolution and remake man in their image:
The EU is a curious partnership between financial neo-liberals who, judging from their actions, want to destroy small businesses and clear a path for vast multinationals to dominate the market; and hysterical social justice warriors like the delightful Trigglypuff. For the former, any individualism, any tradition, any borders, any national identity, is an irritating obstacle to a global financial empire; and since the latter violently hate and attack tradition, the individual, borders, national identity, well, it’s really a match made in Heaven, or, you know, somewhere else. It is natural that the security-craving Germands love the EU and its works, and natural too that they will now blame every failing on the British people, and therefore on me since i am quite open about my views. A Muslim gang rapes a child? – Brexit to blame! A Muslim blows himself up and kills dozens of innocents? – Brexit again!
The EU was really perfect for the Left – a soft totalitarianism, perhaps like Communism in Poland: one of my students, who lived through this era, said it wasn’t as bad as in Russia, that having a politically incorrect opinion would get you fired and unemployable, but you probably wouldn’t be tortured and executed. The EU was heading in this direction, with its interesting Hate Speech notions, directed against people like me; and its so-called secret army, presumably to punish states who might try to withdraw from the glorious Fourth Reich, and needed a bit of enlightening, 1956 style.
7. It will be interesting to observe as events unfold. Since Britain was one of the few strong economies, contributing to the numerous parasites (all of Eastern Europe), without us the others (France, Netherlands, Germany) will have to do more, as millions more Muslim “refugees” flood into Europe from warzones like Pakistan, Algeria, Morocco, and Iraq, demanding good Halal meat and white girls to rape, and cars, and good housing, and respect, and for gays to be thrown off buildings, and dogs to be slaughtered as haram, and Jews to be burnt alive, and Christian churches converted into mosques. It could be that if another strong economy pulls out, the whole “European project” will collapse, and of course everyone will blame Britain for all that follows, because we shouldn’t have wanted freedom from the glorious socialist neo-liberal republic of Islam.
Scotland, i wager, will leave the UK, which is only fair since practically the entire country voted to Remain. i don’t see any reason why they should stay in the UK, and as a small-government Tory i think it would be better if they fucked off to eat their fried Mars Bars and crack sandwiches in peace.
So there it is, history.